Happy New Lunar Year Greetings
On this page we've got the top ways to greet Mandarin and Cantonese speaking people during the Chinese New Year period, which is from Chinese New Year's day up to the 15th day of the Chinese New Year. The first three are from a more traditional point of view. The second set of three (the "hottest") are the most popular ones this year.
Usually you only have to greet people like this the first time you see them in the new Chinese calendar year, and after that you can return to normal Chinese greetings.
新年快乐 / 新年快樂 (Xīnnián kuàilè)
'New Year happiness!'
- In Mandarin: /sshin-nyen kwhy-ler/
- In Cantonese: /sen-nin feye-lor/
新年好 / 新年好 (Xīnnián hǎo)
'New Year goodness!' (like "Good day.")
- In Mandarin: /sshin-nyen haoww/
- In Cantonese: /sen-nin haow/
过年好 / 過年好 (Guònián hǎo)
'Pass the New Year well!'
- In Mandarin: /gwor-nyen haoww/
- In Cantonese: /gwor-nin haow/
1. 新年好 / 新年好 (Xīnnián hǎo)
'New Year goodness!'
2. 恭喜发财 / 恭喜發財 (Gōngxǐ fācái)
'Happiness and prosperity!'
- In Mandarin: /gong-sshee faa-tseye/
- In Cantonese: Kunghei fatchoy /gong-hey faa-chwhy/