Greetings, Wishes for New Year
Have you ever made a New Year’s resolution? Did you keep it? When the year is coming to an end, and the new one is about to start, a lot of people decide to change something about the way they live their lives.
They might give up smoking or take up some sport and lose weight. Others resolve to spend more time with their loved ones.
In case you have decided to improve your English, you can start doing so right now by learning a few phrases you can use around New Year’s Eve.
Do you know any other ways to wish someone a Happy New Year? Have a look at these New Year Wishes:
- May you have a Prosperous New Year.
- Wishing you a New Year filled with happiness and good fortune.
- I wish you happiness in the year to come.
- Let the year ahead be the one where all your dreams come true.
- May the coming year bring success to you.
- May the year ahead bring you good luck and happiness.
- I wish you a smashing New Year filled with laughter.
- Season’s greetings and best wishes for the New Year.
- May your wishes come true and may you have a joyous New Year.
- I wish you the biggest slice of happiness and good luck in the coming year.
Recommended for you:
How to Express Good Wishes Using MAY?
How to use the verb WISH?
1. New Year’s Eve
the evening of the 31st of December
- What are you doing on New Year’s Eve?
- I’m going to a party with my husband.
2. New Year’s Day
the 1st of January
- I’m going to see the NHL Winter Classic (ice-hockey match) on New Year’s Day.
3. Make a resolution/ resolve to do something
make a firm decision to do something
- Are you going to make a New Year’s resolution?
- I’ve already made one. I’ve resolved to learn a hundred new words every week.
a display of coloured explosives and smoke for amusement
- The fireworks begin as the clock strikes midnight.
raising your glass to drink together with a group of people to honour someone or wish them happiness, good luck/health
- Let’s drink a toast! Happy New Year, everybody!
6. Raise one’s glasses
drink a toast
- Let’s raise our glasses to a Happy New Year!
Recommended for you:
Other ways to say Good Luck!
Other ways to say Happy Birthday!
an irrational belief based on faith in magic or chance
- It brings good luck if a dark haired person is the first one to enter your household on New Year’s Day. (this custom is called ’First-Footing’ in Scotland)
- That’s just some old superstition. I don’t believe in it.
8. Turn over a new leaf
start again in a better/different way
- I’ll turn over a new leaf and start being nicer to people next year.
a drink of mixed fruit juices often spiced with wine, prepared in large bowls
- Who’s going to make the punch for tonight’s party?
10. Ring out the old
celebrate the end of a year
- We’re ringing out the old with some friends.
11. Ring in the new year
celebrate the beginning of the new year
- How did you ring in the new year?
express hope concerning the future
- I wish you a very Happy New Year.
We wish you all a fantastic New Year and hope you will keep learning with us. Remember: we are here to help you.